The Graphic Design programme teaches graphic art using the modern technology and design pedagogy relevant to the fast-changing design age in which we live. Design is everywhere and the forces that drive it are the human resources. For design to be effective certain traits must be built by an individual through education. That is the head, heart and hand must synchronize for the body to be able to effectively use the principles and design methods or process in solving a problem. This programme is designed in such a way that builds one’s design ‘muscles’ for productivity in the design circles. Graphic Design thrives on a three-legged stool that is Collaboration, Creativity and Communication. Students are taught how to collaborate with other stakeholders, apply creativity to any work and ultimately communicate effectively.
Graphic Design graduates are well sought after in the service industry of advertising, packaging and branding. The skills developed through the degree in Graphic Design will prepare them for a range of careers in the service industry in the private, governmental and non-governmental sectors.
The general aim of the Bachelor of Art in Graphic Design programme is to impart knowledge and skills to students for them to have a better advantage over the roadside artist in terms of professionalism, concept development, design and finish. They can fit well in the society by designing artworks that communicate effectively on national level and into any design arena, how to handle the basic design tools and how to work on the computer using a Computer Aided Design, how to write a design brief and discuss design project with clients. Students would have the chance of executing a Final Year design project, and writing about the steps involved in the process.
The programme is intended to:
- Instil in students the capacity and awareness of the high standard and professional integrity that is expected of a professional Graphic Designers;
- Equip students with the skills to effectively communicate through the use of arts and design from a professional standpoint;
- Produce professional artists equipped with and to use modern and advanced technology and techniques of art and design;
- Train professional and world class artists equipped with the skills of innovation, creativity and communication, concept development, design and marketing of world class artistic work in a competitive environment.
EMPLOYMENT PROSPECTS OF GRADUATES
Graphic Design Graduates are well sought after in the service industry of advertising, packaging and branding. The skills developed through the degree in Graphic Design will prepare them for a range of careers in the service industry in the private, government and non-governmental sectors. Graduates have the opportunity to teach in Senior High Schools, Polytechnic and Training Colleges, and other areas as listed below.
- Art Directors for advertising agencies and design firms
- Graduates can become Studio Managers for printing presses
- Design for interactive, multimedia graphics purposes on the web.
- Packaging Consultant, corporate designers, publication and exhibition designers.
- Animators and Graphic Artists for computer and video graphics to be used by TV stations and motion picture production firms.
- Entrepreneurial graphic designers who man their own firms or as sole proprietors of design agencies.