The Banking and Finance industry is the largest financial intermediary in Ghana’s capital market. Surprisingly however, graduates from existing Business Schools lack the new age IT applications in Banking and Finance. This 4-year programme is therefore designed to equip students with the theory and IT applications in Banking and Finance. This will help to meet the growing demand for IT banking and finance professionals in the country.
The programme seeks to provide students with a sound theoretical and practical knowledge and skills base which are prerequisites for a successfully profession in the banking sector or within the larger finance environment. In addition, graduates will be given a strong foundation to enable them enroll for professionally recognised qualifications such as the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) programme.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- Produce graduates equipped with banking, financial and management theories, principles, modern techniques and best practices and who will be self-confident and poised to assume different managerial positions in both private and public enterprises globally.
- Produce graduates who uphold their professional and core and high ethical values.
- Produce graduates who would initiate and develop projects through formation of user groups and cluster of local, national and international network systems.
- Train graduates for professional qualification/ certification for best practices with relevant professional bodies.
- Prepare graduates to be strong and vibrant global leaders and developers using their management knowledge and skills.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
The programme aims to provide graduates with the necessary finance and banking knowledge required to further contribute to and develop the IT architecture and systems employed by the banks and financial institutions. Specifically, the course will give in-depth understanding of core areas of economics, banking and finance with quantitative content. We also equip our graduates with skills in numeracy, IT, communication and problem solving, as well as key skills for further study at the graduate level. We prepare graduates for specialist quantitatively orientated careers in banking and finance, research and forecasting, as well as areas of business management and accounting.
EMPLOYMENT PROSPECTS OF GRADUATES
Upon completion of the course, graduates become competent to the extent that they are able to work in various fields of business and are able to meet all challenges at the work place. Graduates of this programme can work in central government agencies, consultancy firms, Non-Governmental Organisations, International Development Agencies, the Business sector including the Banks and other institutions and areas where marketing is carried out.